Look for an update on the current state of the helmet market — government regulations, updates and other lid-related news — when the MIC’s Aftermarket Committee convenes a meeting with the Helmet Task Force.
The meeting takes place today from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Cosmopolitan B room on the third floor of the Hyatt Regency Hotel. It is open to all companies involved in the manufacturing and distributing of helmets. MIC membership is not required.
On the agenda:
- Government relations updates
- An update on NHTSA amendments
- An overview of the www.Helmetcheck.org where riders can see whether a helmet is DOT-compliant
- A demonstration of how helmet makers can easily add their products to the Helmetcheck.org website
- A presentation of the Helmetcheck.org public service announcements
- A forum for discussion of ideas for how public service personnel can more easily identify whether a helmet is DOT-compliant
The MIC’s Helmet Task Force launched www.helmetcheck.org to allow riders to verify that a helmet they own, or are considering for purchase, complies with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s safety standard (FMVSS 218).
This website allows consumers to find information on DOT-compliant helmets from any helmet manufacturer voluntarily participating in the database. It is also a repository of helmet-related information, research and public service announcements for the benefit of consumers, policy-makers and law enforcement.