Oil painter Allan Gorman uses Harley-Davidson motorcycles as inspiration in his work.
And Gorman will be displaying his work, typically found in galleries and art fairs, alongside the bikes that inspire them at Harley dealers in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania in a pop-up tour he calls The Ready to Rumble Road Show.
"The set-up benefits all involved," Gorman said. "For the dealers, it's an interesting traffic-builder and public relations event. It will give a lot of people -- old, current and potential new customers -- a great reason to come into a dealership. For the customers, it exposes them to a new and wonderful form of Harley-inspired art. The paintings have been a real hit with both the public and the media."
Gorman's paintings focus on the abstract shapes and designs found in the swooping tailpipes, reflective chrome and color contrasts. Besides a display of original oil paintings, limited-edition signed prints will be for sale, and Gorman will sign and sell commemorative tour posters at the events. Charities chosen by the local bike clubs will receive a donation of 20 percent of the sale proceeds from the posters.
Scheduled dates include:
- May 1-3 -- Garden State Harley-Davidson, Kinnelon, N.J.
- May 5-26 -- Hot Rods n' Harleys at Hamilton Stage, Rahway, N.J.
- May 30-June 1 -- Tramontin Harley-Davidson, Hope, N.J.
- June 6-8 -- Keystone Harley-Davidson, Parryville, Pa.
- June 13 - 14 -- Bergen Harley-Davidson, Roselle Park, N.J.
- August* -- Miracle Mile Harley-Davidson, Great Neck, N.Y.
- September* -- Brian's Harley-Davidson, Langhorne, Pa.
- October 3-4 -- Liberty Harley-Davidson, Rahway, N.J.
- November* -- Valley Forge Harley-Davidson, Valley Forge, Pa.
*final date TBD
Gorman has appeared in more than 60 solo, museum and gallery shows over the past five years. He is the recipient of a 2013 Fellowship for Painting from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, and had residencies at the Vermont Studio Center in 2011 and 2014.
Posted by Vince Guerrieri