The following is a BMW press release.
BMW Motorrad has added yet another attractive member to its BMW GS family with the introduction of the new BMW G 650 GS. With its lean, wiry off-road stature, the new single-cylinder enduro cuts a light and adventurous figure and stands out clearly from its rivals in terms of quality, equipment, and comfort. In conjunction with its relatively low weight and the low seat height, it offers an attractive means of entry to the passion of motorcycling and the fascinating world of BMW GS adventure.
New updated version with a high torque and low consumption single-cylinder engine.
This liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with double overhead camshafts has a displacement of 652 cc, delivers 48 hp at 6500 rpm, and develops a maximum torque of 44 lb/ft.
Due to electronic fuel injection, twin-spark ignition, high compression ratio of 11.5:1, and a closed-loop catalytic converter, this single-cylinder engine is designed for maximum riding pleasure with the best possible efficiency and minimal environmental impact. Low consumption values of only 3.2 liters per 100 km at a constant 90 km/h (approximately 66 mpg city) are possible.
In conjunction with the claw-shifted five-speed gearbox, the high-revving single-cylinder engine in the new BMW G 650 GS offers increased performance on winding back roads. Its beefy torque curves and quick response also allow detours to be handled with supreme ease beyond asphalt roads.
The suspension of the new G 650 GS was developed primarily for riding on back roads and utilizes a bridge frame of steel tubing and a bolt-on rear frame. The front wheel is controlled by torsionally rigid telescopic forks, the rear system a solid dual swing arm of square steel sections in conjunction with a monoshock linked via a lever system.
The brake system consists of a single brake disc at the front and rear. The BMW Motorrad ABS, available as optional factory-installed equipment, can be deactivated for off-road riding.
Typical enduro design and color concept in the style of the BMW GS family.
The body of the new G 650 GS is completely redesigned. The front section makes the single-cylinder enduro light, sporty, and dynamic.
The engine, exhaust covers, frame, swing arm, and fork tubes, which are all black, contrast with the colors of aura white and orange-red as well as the matching two-tone seat.
The new BMW G 650 GS will be produced at the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin Spandau.
The following is an overview of the primary features of the new BMW G 650 GS:
- Reliable, high torque, and low consumption single-cylinder engine with 652 cc displacement.
- Engine power 48 hp at 6500 rpm and maximum torque 44 lb/ft at 5,000 rpm.
- Bridge frame and swing arm of steel, telescopic forks, and monoshock (spring travel front 6.7 inches, rear 6.5 inches).
- Cast light alloy wheels in new design. Diameter front 19” rear 17”.
- Wider rear wheel rim for better riding stability.
- Brake system with single brake disc at front and rear and OFF/ON BMW Motorrad ABS (optional factory-installed equipment).
- Redesigned windshield with GS molding and two-tone seat.
- Narrow and ergonomic 3.7 gallon tank.
- Three different seat heights: standard 30.7 inches, low suspension 29.5 inches (as optional factory-installed equipment), high seat (black) 32.3 inches.
- Sporty cockpit design with asymmetrical headlamp and instrument panel.
- Luggage carrier with lockable storage compartment.
- Smoky grey turn signal lenses.
- New handlebar mounts.
- Extensive optional factory-installed equipment: BMW Motorrad ABS (ON/OFF), heated grips, anti-theft alarm system, center stand, power socket, low suspension.
- Extensive optional accessories.
Posted by Arlo Redwine