NEW YORK, N.Y. - Bonnier Corp., owner of Cycle World, has acquired nine powersports-related consumer magazines from Source Interlink Media.
Under the May 18 deal, Bonnier acquires Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Dirt Rider, Motorcycle Cruiser, Hot Bike, Baggers, Super Streetbike, Street Chopper and ATV Rider. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
“The acquisition supports Bonnier’s strategy to be focused in vertical enthusiast interest media,” said CEO Dave Freygang. “We believe in going deep into selected verticals, and it’s essential that our brands be in a leadership position within those verticals. Since the acquisition of Cycle World in 2011, we’ve realized that the opportunities within the motorcycle market are significant.”
Bonnier will now own the top two motorcycle brands in the industry: Cycle World and Motorcyclist. Along with the other motorcycle titles, the collection will form the Bonnier Motorcycle Group, which is now the largest motorcycle-enthusiast media group in the world.
Eric Zinczenko is Bonnier’s executive vice president. “Our new portfolio of motorcycle brands positions us to serve every segment of the motorcycle community and reach the largest aggregate of motorcycle enthusiast consumers possible,” he said. “Our unwavering commitment to motorcycles and our industry partners continues.
“The new Bonnier Motorcycle Group’s audience demographics complement those of our existing men’s titles. This will allow our company to approach our advertising base with even more scale and deeper integrated offerings.”
A day after the acquisition, Bonnier promoted Cycle World publisher Andrew Leisner to VP, Group Publisher of the Bonnier Motorcycle Group.
“By having every segment of the motorcycle community under one company, we'll be better able to serve motorcycle-media consumers, fueling their passion and growing the motorcycle industry,” Leisner said.
Leisner was named 2012 Sales Manager of the Year for Bonnier Corp. A former professional motorcycle racer, he has worked his entire career in motorcycle media and marketing.
Highlights of the acquired brands, according to Bonnier, include:
- Motorcyclist, the flagship title of the group, covers all facets of motorcycling. It includes sportbikes, cruisers, tourers, adventure bikes and standards, with significant details on parts and accessories and the experience of owning and caring for motorcycles.
- Sport Rider is the largest brand catering to high-performance sportbikes.
- Dirt Rider is the largest off-road motorcycle magazine delivering coverage of all forms of off-road motorcycle recreation.
- Motorcycle Cruiser is the only brand dedicated exclusively to real-world cruising.
- Hot Bike focuses on the Harley-Davidson experience. Readers get the latest tips and techniques to turn their bikes into customized dream machines.
- Baggers covers the hottest custom creations, current-model road tests, in-depth technical installations, theory articles, national rallies and touring stories.
- Super Streetbike is the largest brand devoted to the custom sportbike market.
- Street Chopper covers the lifestyle of readers living on the road and in the garage.
- ATV Rider features the many ways that enthusiasts can enjoy ATV riding.
Posted by Arlo Redwine. Photos courtesy Bonnier Corp.