Fire damages inventory at Cycle Den

Publish Date: 
Jul 9, 2012

 

COLUMBIA, Pa. – Owners of a motorcycle shop here are recovering from the damage of a three-alarm fire that swept through the business late last month.

The June 28 fire at the Cycle Den had engulfed the building by the time fire crews arrived. Columbia Consolidated fire Chief Charles Snyder III told the York Daily Record the blaze was accidental and started when a bike that was being worked on caught fire. Leaking gasoline then spread the flames.

Three employees who were working at the business when the fire broke out escaped unharmed. Snyder said most of the bikes at the shop were saved but other inventory was lost.

Low water pressure hampered firefighters, who relied on tankers to supply the water needed to battle the blaze. At least 10 tankers from fire companies in Lancaster and York counties were called to assist.

Neighbors said the Cycle Den has occupied the building for 25 to 30 years. The building itself, they said, dates to the 1930s and was previously an automobile dealership.

The fire was declared under control within an hour and a half, although firefighters continued to soak the premises for several hours.

Posted by Holly Wagner