Fire sends two Tennessee shop employees to the hospital

Publish Date: 
Mar 18, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. – A fire at Fast Cycles March 11 sent two employees to the hospital with non-critical burns and smoke inhalation, authorities said.

Two men were transported to NorthCrest Medical Center for their injuries. One was burned and the other suffered smoke inhalation, said Julie Rawls, a supervisor with Robertson County EMS. The business sustained smoke, water and fire damage.

Fire crews responded to the business about 2 p.m. and found fire and smoke coming out of the building, Springfield Fire Chief Jimmy Hamill told the Tennesseean.

“Engine 2 was on its way back from our fire hall, having just left a meeting. When they arrived, they found heavy fire in the back of the building and heavy smoke from the front,” Hamill said. “We had to break through a chainlink fence in the back to get another engine crew in. There is substantial damage to the building and several motorcycles burned up.”

A restaurant next to Fast Cycles received light to medium smoke damage, but Hamill said fire crews had to break through sheet at the bar to check for hot spots.

Posted by Holly Wagner