MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Harley-Davidson has announced the official calendar of 110th Anniversary Celebration events for the coming year, and it includes a blessing from the Holy See.
Included in the official calendar are 12 anniversary experiences that Harley-Davidson will bring to existing motorcycle events in global regional markets through September 2013. The events span 11 countries on six continents including North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. The festivities began with a 110th Anniversary Celebration kickoff party at the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee.
Capping the regional experiences will be two main anniversary celebration events -- one in Rome, Italy and the other in Milwaukee. The Rome event in June 2013 will include a party in the tourist port of Ostia, two headlining concerts at the Stadio Olimpico, and a special bike blessing by Pope Benedict XVI inside St. Peter's Square, Vatican City.
The event in Milwaukee over Labor Day weekend Aug. 29-Sept. 3 in 2013 will be an expanded celebration including rides to Milwaukee organized by fans, a celebration at the Henry Maier Festival Park (Summerfest grounds), a massive parade through downtown Milwaukee, activities at the Harley-Davidson Museum and three headlining concerts.The Milwaukee event will be preceded by two other U.S.-based anniversary celebrations at Daytona Bike Week in March and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August.
In addtion, 110th Anniversary Celebration "experiences" will be held around the globe, including:
- AUSTRIA (Sept. 4-9 in Faaker See) - Kickoff party during European Bike Week;
- INDIA (February 2013) - During the country's first National H.O.G. Rally;
- NEW ZEALAND (Feb. 14-17 in Auckland) - During the country's National H.O.G. Rally
- AUSTRALIA (April 13-14 in Melbourne)
- SOUTH AFRICA (April 26-28 in Margate) - During Africa Bike Week
- CHINA (April 30-May 2 at Qiandao Lake in Zhe Jiang Province)
- MEXICO (dates tbd in Mexico City)
- BRAZIL (dates tbd in Sao Paulo)
- ITALY (June 13-16 in Rome)
- MALAYSIA (Sept. 14-19 in Kuala Lumpur) - During Asia Harley Days.
Harley-Davidson fans are invited to join the celebration events online to share videos, images and experiences on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.h-d.com/110. The website, which will remain live through 2013, will feature details about all of the Motor Company's 110th Anniversary events, as well as content posted from fans around the world.
Information regarding ticketing and registration for the events will be made available on the website later this year, Harley-Davidson stated.
Posted by Holly Wagner