Harley-Davidson has opted to make a few tweaks to its sportbike-flavored Sportster, the XR1200 for the 2011 model year, and thus the XR1200X is born.
Introduced now for foreign markets, the re-suspended and re-stoppered XR1200X will be available next year for those of us in the good ol' USA. The upgrades include fully-adjustable Showa front and rear suspension and improved front brakes. Details of these changes and other features of the bike:
- Showa Big Piston Front fork (BPF) eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, resulting in lighter overall fork weight. The large-diameter of the BPF internal piston allows a reduction in damping pressure for outstanding feedback and smooth action. Rebound and compression damping may be fine tuned with adjuster screws located on top of the fork bolts. The spring pre-load is adjusted with a M5 hex screw on the axle holders.
- Showa rear shocks feature 36mm pistons with piggy-back nitrogen charged reservoirs. The compression damping may be adjusted with a knob on top of the reservoir. Rebound is adjusted with a thumb wheel on the lower clevis. Rear spring pre-load is also adjustable.
- Nissin dual front brakes feature 292mm full-floating rotors and four-piston calipers.
- Isolation-mounted XL Evolution 1200 cc V-Twin engine with black powdercoat finish features downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection, high-performance camshafts, precision oil-cooled cylinder heads and a large-capacity oil cooler. Compression ratio is 10:1. The engine is rated at 74 ft.lbs. peak torque at 4000 rpm (per SAE J1349).
- Upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight-shot exhaust system with satin black finish offers extra cornering clearance.
- Chassis features a high-performance designed tubular mild steel frame. The rigid, cast-aluminum swingarm is engineered to enhance handling.
- Dunlop Qualifier D209 tires were designed specifically for the XR1200X.
- Three-spoke lightweight cast-aluminum wheels, 18-inch front / 17-inch rear, are finished in gloss black with an orange pinstripe on the rim.
- Wide, black dirt-track handlebar for enhanced steering leverage and comfort.
- Rearset foot pegs for additional cornering clearance.
- Compact instrument display with white-faced analog tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter and clock.
- 3.5-gallon fuel tank with aircraft-style aluminum alloy fuel filler.
- 29.2-inch seat height with standard passenger pillion and foot pegs.
- Optional Harley-Davidson Smart Security System.
posted by Dennis Johnson