Harley-Davidson will offer two new models for 2012: the V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition and the Dyna Switchback, a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield.
The models complement an earlier announcement that the Twin Cam 103 powertrain is now standard equipment on Softail and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna motorcycle models.
In addition, the Night Rod Special has significant updates for 2012 with refreshed bodywork and optimized rider ergonomics. And Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) rolls out the new CVO Road Glide Custom, a limited-production, high-performance touring bike.
Harley-Davidson H-D1 is an offering of customization tools for the Harley owner. H-D1 tools include Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories listings in print and online catalogs, Fit Shop and consultation services at dealerships, and factory customization and Bike Builder tools on www.harley-davidson.com. H-D1 offers opportunities to optimize fit, function, style and performance.
Harley- Davidson heads into 2012 with 32 models. Highlights of the line include:
- The Twin Cam 103 engine powers all 2012 Dyna, Softail and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob and Dyna Super Glide Custom. This engine produces up to 100 ft.-lbs. peak torque, an increase of about 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release. It features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
- A Security Package that pairs Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob is available for all 2012 V-Rod, Dyna, Softail, Touring and CVO models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO models and on the Road Glide Ultra, the Electra Glide Ultra Limited, and the Road King Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
- The Night Rod Special is updated with new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics.
- Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
- The new Dyna Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the eager handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It’s a custom-touring bike ready for a long weekend trip, until the detachable bags and windshield are removed. Then in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. This convertible concept makes the versatile Switchback two motorcycles in one.
- All Harley-Davidson Softail models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new “in the bike” position. The Softail Deluxe and Heritage Softail Classic will be available with a new optional “tubeless” Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair.
- The Twin Cam 103 powertrain gives all Harley-Davidson Touring models assertive power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new “tubeless” Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
- The Harley-Davidson Sportster line consists of six 2012 models ranging from the race-inspired XR1200X to the accessible SuperLow to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883, Nightster and Forty-Eight. The Sportster 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
- The new CVO Road Glide Custom is one of four limited-production 2012 models from Harley-Davidson CVO, each turned out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, and the most powerful V-twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles. CVO Road Glide Custom is a hot-rod bagger with a frame-mounted fairing topped with a smoked Wind Splitter windshield, a high-output, amplified Harman/Kardon Advanced Audio system, and a color-matched, low-profile fuel tank console.
Posted by Arlo Redwine