One of the nation’s oldest Harley-Davidson dealerships has closed down, another victim of the tough economy.
Reggie Pink Harley-Davidson of White Plains, N.Y., opened in 1927 and closed last month, 2-1/2 years after celebrating its move into a 44,000-square-foot building with a grand reopening.
"Harley-Davidson decided that our old facility wasn't big enough and they pressured us to move to a larger place," owner Leslie Pink Dessauer told the Journal News of the Lower Hudson Valley. “We made the move and then the economy went down the tubes and we couldn't pay our bills. It's devastating."
Pink opened a store in the Bronx in 1927 and became the first major U.S. importer of Ariel, BSA, Triumph and other British makes. In 1931, Pink took on Indian motorcycles, and in 1944, the dealership switched to selling Harley-Davidsons exclusively. The White Plains store opened in 1948. Pink’s son Donald took over the family business after the senior Pink died in 1962. Donald’s wife, Leslie Pink Dessauer, took over after his death in 1984.
Posted by Holly Wagner