Spot already offers tracking devices for recreational use.
“Outdoor recreationists have come to appreciate Spot as a brand that keeps them safe as they explore new ways of getting off the grid,” said Jay Monroe, CEO of Globalstar, Spot’s parent company. “As the first satellite phone available in major retail outlets such as West Marine, REI and Cabela’s, Spot Global Phone will not only provide a lifeline during these adventures, but an opportunity to connect with impeccably clear voice quality on a satellite network that is light-years ahead of the competition.”
Spot Global Phone specs and features, according to Spot:
- Size: 5.3 inches high by 2.2 inches wide by 1.5 inches deep
- Weight: 7 ounces
- Satellite-based technology
- Voice clarity with no noticeable delay or echo
- Backlit color display optimized for outdoor daytime viewing
- Long-life battery: 4 hours talk time, 36 hours standby
- Data-capable, enabling e-mail and file transfers
- Quick online activation
- Lighted keypad
- 911 emergency service access
Spot claims that data speeds of 9.6 Kbps provide up to four times the data speed of most other mobile satellite data.
In addition to being sold by retail outlets, the Spot Global Phone is available online and through a dealer network. The phone retails for $499 plus a required subscription service that starts at $24.99 monthly.
Posted by Arlo Redwine. Photo courtesy Spot LLC