UPDATE: Rival gangs behind Cycle Gear shooting; company praises employee response

Publish Date: 
Jul 1, 2013
By Holly J. Wagner

CHARLESTON, S.C. – Feuding motorcycle gangs were at the heart of the June 28 parking lot shooting at the North Charleston Cycle Gear store that left three men dead and sent another to the hospital.

The altercation broke out at the counter between two members of the Real Kings club who went into the store to browse and five members of the Wheels of Soul club who followed them into the store, while 15 more waited outside jeering for the first two men to come out, according to police reports.

Store manager Stan Foxworthy, who called 911, confirmed that no employees were wounded in the incident.

The store posted a notice on its Facebook page June 29, which reads:

“Our condolences go out to out customers today. Please know that this senseless act of stupidity by outsiders today does in no way define or reflect on our riding community. We will be open normal hours tomorrow; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thank you to all of our friends & customers, you are each very special to us and we want to see you safe! Just remember, life is precious, give your loved ones a hug!”

Two men were arraigned for their alleged part in the shootings Monday afternoon, July 1. Magistrate Linda Lombard set bail at $500,000 for Barry Stinson, 32, who is charged with second-degree lynching by mob. She did not set bail for Ronald Reid, 43, who is charged with one count of murder, because only a circuit court judge can set bail on murder charges.

Reid appeared in court in a wheelchair and had been shot in the leg during the altercation, according to the Post and Courier, which also reported Reid had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Cycle Gear corporate released a statement July 1, saying, “Our thoughts are with the families of those affected by the unfortunate event at our North Charleston store. We strive to provide a comfortable and safe shopping experience and are proud of the quick reaction by our employees in both contacting the authorities as well as finding shelter for the customers that were still in the building. We would also like to thank the North Charleston community for staying strong in this difficult time.”

A spokesman told Dealernews the company Is cooperating in the investigation and declined further comment.