Yamaha Motor Corp., has added to its sport ATV lineup the 2013 Raptor 700 and Raptor 700R, two models that feature new design and performance features.
The Raptors will be produced at Yamaha's U.S. manufacturing facility in Newnan, Ga., as part of the OEMs efforts to shift production of some of its four-wheelers to the USA. The Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corp. plant already serves as the final assembly location for the company's brand of golf carts, and some watercraft, ATV and side-by-side models.
Built under Yamaha's new slogan, “Assembled in U.S.A.”, the Raptor has aggressive new styling and performance features. It is the first of Yamaha’s sport ATVs to be transferred to the state-of-the-art Newnan factory from overseas facilities. The new Raptors will be in Yamaha dealerships this summer.
New for 2013:
- New styling enhances the Raptor 700R’s menacing looks.
- Front and rear piggyback shocks offer full adjustability and optimal bump absorbing performance.
- An adjustable front brake lever enables precise tuning for the rider’s personal preference.
- New Maxxis tires deliver class leading traction.
- Twin piston rear brake calipers are added for excellent stopping power.
- The Raptor 700R is proudly assembled in the USA alongside Yamaha’s 4x4 and Side x Side utility vehicles.
The 2013 Raptor will be available in three versions — all three priced lower than comparable 2012 models. The Team Yamaha Blue/White Raptor 700R has an MSRP of $8,099, which is $300 less than the 2012 model. This year’s Special Edition Raptor 700R features black plastics with red flame graphics and GYTR accessories and retails fo $8,799, $200 less than the 2012 SE. Additionally for 2013, there is a third version Raptor 700 in white with dual graphic kit options priced at MSRP of $7,699, $700 below last year’s model. The all-white model comes with two graphic kits at the time of purchase: a red, white and blue, Assembled-in-USA-themed kit, and an aggressive black-and-red kit.
The Raptor features a 686cc, four stroke, liquid-cooled engine that has quick-revving capabilities unique in a big bore but necessary for top performance on trails or in the dunes. It also has a five-speed transmission with a reverse gear.
The Raptor’s powerplant features a forged piston and aluminum cylinder with ceramic composite coating, which provides reduced weight, increased cooling ability and additional wear resistance. Roller rocker arms reduce friction in the valve train allowing the engine to rev more freely leading to better overall performance and improved throttle response. A one-piece aluminum die-cast rear swing arm delivers superior rear wheel traction, reduced weight and added comfort for the rider.
The 2013 model also features new Maxxis tires with reduced weight and an aggressive new and exclusive tread pattern, electric start and easy to read indicator lights. The “R” versions of the new Raptor 700 retain the fully-adjustable, aluminum piggyback-type shocks with high- and low-speed compression damping giving experienced riders more control of their own particular set-up.
The Raptor’s frame is also unique with a special hybrid design that marries a high-tensile steel frame up front and a cast aluminum rear. With the production transfer to YMMC, the steel portion of the frame is now made in the USA and is now powder coated.
The Raptor has double-wishbone front A-arms featuring light weight and increased strength thanks to the aluminum upper arms and steel lower arms. It also has a Yamaha Cam Adjust drive chain adjuster making for quick and easy chain adjustments. The R’s hydraulic front brake features YFZ-type twin piston front calipers that are matched with new twin piston rear calipers for improved feel.
Specs for the Team Yamaha Blue/White model:
- Model: YFM7RSEDL
- Engine Type: 686cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; SOHC, 4 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 102.0 x 84.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
- Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 44mm
- Ignition: 16 Bit ECU
- Starting System: Electric
- Transmission: 5-speed w/reverse; wet multiplate clutch
- Drive Train: 2WD; sealed O-ring chain, eccentric adjustment
- Suspension/Front: Independent double wishbone w/piggyback High-/Lo-speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 9.1-in travel
- Suspension/Rear: Cast aluminum swing arm w/rebound, High-/Lo-speed compression and threaded preload adjustment, 10.1-in travel
- Brakes/Front: Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Brake/Rear: Ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Tires/Front: AT21 x 7-10
- Tires/Rear: AT20 x 10-9
- L x W x H: 72.6 in. x 45.5 in. x 43.9 in.
- Seat Height: 32.7 in.
- Wheelbase: 50.4 in.
- Ground Clearance: 4.4 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 2.9 gal
- Wet Weight: 422 lb.
- Lighting: Dual 30W Krypton multireflector headlights & 3.9/0.5W LED brake light
- Color: Team Yamaha Blue/White
Posted by Dennis Johnson
Like Dealernews’ Facebook page: