SEATTLE, Wash. - Touratech has unveiled what the company says is the first shock absorber built specifically for long-distance touring with a fully-loaded adventure motorcycle.
According to the company, the Extreme Shock has the strength, features, and adjustments to go the distance, even while hauling luggage, right out of the box.
“We let the mad-scientists at Touratech build the shock of their dreams with this product. When we asked for the absolute highest-performance shock they could imagine, they developed the Touratech Extreme Shock,” said Matt Willson, Touratech-USA’s product line manager. “If NASA built suspension for adventure motorcycles, they’d be happy with this one.”
The Touratech Extreme Shock has a position-dependent dampening system (PDS) that’s built to prevent bottoming out. This shock has a secondary compression dampener that goes into action when the shock approaches the end of its stroke. The PDS “bottoming control technology” is combined with a remote reservoir, fully adjustable high-speed and low-speed compression dampening, adjustable rebound dampening, remote reservoir, low friction seals and 50 percent more preload adjustment than other shocks on the market, the company reports.
Overbuilt by design, the shock features heavy-duty materials, over-sized components, and boatloads of spring pre-load adjustment. The preload can be hydraulically adjusted by turning the knob with your hand.
- 15mm of preload adjustment allows proper spring pre-load set-up for a fully-loaded adventure touring bike. Most shocks have 8-10mm
- Oversized 16mm high-strength shaft made of chrome-moly steel
- Remote Reservoir, made from high-strength aluminum, keeps the fluid cool and ensures pressure stability in the shock which results in better performance. The reservoir also increases fluid volume by 50 percent
- Adjustable high-speed and low-speed compression dampening
- Adjustable Rebound Dampening
- Hydraulic Spring Preload Adjustment
- A floating piston separates the air and the oil to prevent oil foaming.
- Cold forged 6082 T6 aluminum shock body machined to exacting standards
- High-strength stainless steel bushings
- Low-friction seal with integrated Teflon back-up ring
- Adjustable Shock Length, allows 8mm (-4mm to +4mm) of length adjustment to fine tune the ride height of your bike
- Available in a range of spring rates to match the rider weight requirements
Posted by Dennis Johnson